F13/i686: yum update emptied /boot, /bin, /lib, etc.

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Apr 23 17:31:59 UTC 2010

Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Frank Murphy wrote:

>>> Read up on:
>>> yum-plugin-protect-packages
>>>
>>> if your going on autopilot.
>>
>> Thanks.  Installed.
>> IMHO, one should always be able to run "yum -y update" without fear
>> of such damage.  Maybe that's naive, but with the exception of
>> yesterday's run, it's worked for me for more than two years of
>> rawhide and F10..F13.
>
> except we don't know what happened yesterday.
>
> You didn't happen to keep the depsolving output on the console did you?

I wish I'd been that prescient.

As mentioned, when I came back after the offending
command had finished, all I could see in all terminal consoles
were little rectangles in place of text.  So while I could
have saved it to file via "screen" (as long it was still within
the 30k scrollback), I didn't think to do that.

> Also - were there any plugins installed?

I think yum-fastestmirror was installed.
Other than that, no.