Please move your ABRT bugs upstream

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 23 17:45:40 UTC 2010

A while back I was complaining about how the KDE SIG handles bug
reports. One could certainly argue that closing everything UPSTREAM
doesn't help to track bugs in Fedora, but on the other hand the bugs are
at least submitted to the original developers.

When I receive a bug report I have a look at it and if it contains all
necessary data, I forward it to upstream's bug tracker. Most of the time
the developers are very thankful about the reports and especially the
backtraces. Looking at the bugs I filed I see that nearly nothing gets
forwarded upstream. :(

We have this nice ABRT tool now, so please let the bug reports our users
collect not be useless and forward them upstream cause that's where they
belong. We are not collecting these reports to let them rotten in our
bugzilla and get them closed by the bugzappers. This is frustrating both
for the users as well as for the developers.

Please, dear maintainers, take care of your ABRT reports and forward
them if you cannot handle them yourselves!

Thanks a lot,
Christoph

P.S.: Now that we gather all these data, do we need a general policy for
it? Should the bugzappers take care of forwarding bugs?