Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 09:17:20 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 02:39 PM, mike cloaked wrote:

> May I ask whether anyone has the same crash occurring with Thunderbird
> 3.1b2?   I have been running the nightlies for that version for months
> without any problem - is the crash only occurring with version 3.0.x?
> Rather than planning on breaking away from Mozilla perhaps when TB
> releases 3.1 the issue will become a non-issue?
>
> Just a thought!

I see the crash issue as a symptom of a large issue of whether we are
comfortable with the trademark boundaries of Mozilla.  Besides the beta
of 3.1 might have other regressions and not very suitable as an update
to Fedora 12.  If Mozilla does a release quickly for 3.0.x, then it
would solve the current issue but I think it still leaves downstream in
a rather unpleasant situation in general where we are entirely dependant
on getting permission from Mozilla for even minor patches.   Mozilla
certainly are well within their legal rights to dictate how their brand
should be used by downstream distributions but whether it is the right
balance is questionable.

Rahul