Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Apr 26 14:48:40 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 03:56 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 04/26/2010 09:35 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> * The Fedora Mozilla packages can't be bug-fixed/patched.
>> Cause: The package is non-free.
>>
>> * The Fedora Mozilla package can't be made compliant to the FPG.
>> Cause the packages are non-free.
>>
> Neither of these are true.
>
> The Fedora Mozilla packages can be bug-fixed/patched.
This was what Martin Stransky had claimed.

A I understood his claim: "He can't apply patches/bug fixes to Fedora's
Thunderbird, because this would void Mozilla's trademark".

IMO, the techical impacts of this are clearly visible in Fedora's
packages, such as the clear FPG violations Kevin has elaborated.

> Personally, I feel that there is name-recognition value in the Mozilla
> trademarks,
As I already said, I feel this what RH is interested in for political or
marketing reasons.

As a propopent of "Free SW", my interest is to fight those who are
applying trademarks to undermine the principles of "free SW".

Ralf