Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 27 21:55:51 UTC 2010

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Also, in the past, certain distributors have altered or broken standards
> compliance in their clients with patches, and in continuing to do so,
> they no longer ship with Mozilla trademarks.  They have effectively
> created a different browser and mail client that behaves differently on
> some web sites or mail servers.  Correctly following open standards is
> extremely important for the internet, and the last thing I want is to
> effectively create a fork in this way.

You mean "compliance" with Mozilla's own "standards" such as APNG which
require a bundled hacked version of a system library to support?

> We do have an agreement with Mozilla and as such, we are permitted to
> use the Firefox and Thunderbird trademarks.  But even if we did not or
> it were decided those marks were not important to us, I strongly feel
> that we should continue do things the right way and get patches accepted
> upstream first.

I think that, sure, we should try to get patches upstreamed, but I don't see
why we'd need to wait for their approval before applying them, other than
due to the aforementioned trademark bureaucracy.

Firefox and Thunderbird are the ONLY high-profile packages in Fedora working
that way, and there must be very few packages in Fedora being maintained in
this style.

        Kevin Kofler