Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Thu Apr 29 03:24:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 04:15 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
> kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
> wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
> are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
> kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.

radeon still supports both modes of operation, though bugs reported
against non-kms code will most likely end up in the bin in favour of
fixing kms bugs.

> Another question: What is the correct behaviour when the kernel parameter
> "nomodeset" is used and the driver doesn't support this? X failing to start at
> all, as happens with my Intel G35, or using the Vesa driver, as happens with
> my GeForce Go 7900 GS? The latter seems more useful to me.

I think it should fall back to vesa by default, but not sure why intel
works different, I think nouveau may check for modesetting support
earlier and bail when fallback is possible.

Dave.