Javascript JIT in web browsers

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Aug 16 00:31:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 16:44:29 -0700,
  Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 01:15 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Some web sites are indeed abusing JavaScript.
>
> > A web site is
> > not and should not be an application, an application is not and should not
> > be a web site.
>
> Just because you said so?  Web applications bring enormous practical
> benefits to their users and administrators.

My view is that they show only be used for applications when that application
is going to be used by someone with a trust relationship to the application
provider. For example when using Peoplesoft at work it makes sense, since
I trust my employer to not be trying to hack my work desktop.

I think using javascript for pages meant to be used by the general public
is a bad idea. It encourages people who don't know better to enable
javascript for general browsing, which signifcantly increases the risks
to them for having credentials stolen or their desktop hacked.

Instead things should be done server side, with style sheets or xforms.