Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 2 01:33:58 UTC 2010

On 02/01/2010 10:23 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:16:54AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  said:
>>> IMO, you are facing a hen-and-egg problem: You've never seen such a
>>> complaint, because using a separate /usr partition has never worked on
>>> RH-based distros.
>>
>> Please stop repeating this untrue statement.

You violently don't refuse to understand?

Please read the whole threat.

Citing myself
(http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-January/129940.html):

RC> Consider having /usr on a separate partition and /usr failing to RC>
mount
RC> at bootup and times at system bootup, during which /usr is not yet
RC> available, because it has not been mounted, yet.

RC> These scenarios are the key scenarios to separate those parts of a
RC> distros which need to be considered "essential" (have to go into
RC> /lib,
RC> /bin, /sbin) and which to be consider "non-essential".

>> As I told you already, I
>> have used separate /usr since RHL 3.0.3.
>
> I've done this for a long time as well, though only on local disk, no
> exotic configuration.

The "emergency scenario" (/usr not being available) does not work with
Fedora and probably all RH-based distros, because there are packages in
/bin/* /sbin/*, which are dynamically linked against libraries in /usr/lib*.

Ralf