Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:28:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:54 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> And to answer your question about what "isnt' broken".  I suggest you look
>> at our http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics page.  We've only seen
>> growth in 2 of our last 6 releases.  Think about that.
>
> While I don't see that as directly relating to the mission of the
> Fedora Project I understand it is important to many people and I
> understand there is an indirect link with the mission. But what
> indicates that is a problem with the distribution as opposed to a
> marketing problem?

The marketing "problem" is this: Who are we marketing to? Defining the
target audience - as broad as it may be - helps here.

I'd also speculate that part of the reason that Fedora is not seeing
as much grown in terms of downloads is that a lot of people don't like
to fix what isn't broken. When things -just work-, the average
end-user doesn't necessarily want to rock the boat.  It could be a
good thing.  :)  Especially when you consider that - although growth
in downloads may not be consistent - contributor account growth seems
to be very healthy.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Accounts_2009-10.png