Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 18:54:37 UTC 2010

Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) said:
> I think that the Fedora Project's target audience needs to be people who
> want to work on open source operating systems.  If you want to market the
> Fedora Project, that's the audience that needs to be addressed.
>
> If you want to market a physical product, like the Fedora Desktop Spin, then
> that should be a decision made below the Board level.  Making a decision
> about the target audience of the various distributions that we have limits
> the choices of the people who want to work on open source operating systems.
> Making a target audience decision at the SIG level widens the choices as
> marketing/artistic/documentation/etc people can choose which audiences they
> want to address via which medium.

I don't find this completely workable. By decreeing this sort of non-target
for the project, and limiting Spin maintainers to only changes in the
package set, but not the packages themselves (as we do), you're essentially
telling them they'll never be able to attack their target audience *well*.

Bill