Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Feb 3 02:21:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:07:23 -0500,
  Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> OTOH, I wasn't able to find anything written for either the KDE or desktop SIGs
> that can be construed as a statement of target audience so even if they
> appear to be aiming at the same targets, we don't know for sure.  This
> appears to be a definite lack that would help marketing and other people
> trying to work at the product level instead of the project level.  So, why
> doesn't the Board ask that a statement of target audience be added to the
> checklist of things that each spin produces?

Some of that is probably on the spin pages for the rest of the spins. I don't
know that the default spins have them though.

I can tell you the games spin is constructed as a marketting tool. I don't
think it was viewed that way by the previous games spin maintainer. This
affected which packages were kept in the spin. Specifically I wanted the
spin to work as is and dropped all of the games that were usable without
downloaded content. (I probably should have also dropped the 3d games, but
by the time I figured that out we had working 3d support with free drivers
on some cards.)

While not quite agreeing with McGrath, I do feel that once someone has
Fedora installed they can pull in any or all games without too much trouble,
so I don't focus on the games one might install, but rather what ones I think
make good showcases on a live (read only) image.

And note I ended up doing this because I wanted to make custom games spins
and asked some questions about problems with the orphaned game spin and got
asked to maintain it.