Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 16:46:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 11:23 -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> I don't understand why 'Electronic Design Lab' is a separate spin: if I
> install all the EDA-related packages that it contains, would I not get
> an equivalent capability?
>
> The only reason I can think of is the media capacity limitation, which
> forces dropping some packages to make space for someone's desired set
> which is not already part of the mainstream collection.

There is also the issue of multiple providers of a given functionality.
When all are present, an algorithm tries to pick the "best" provider,
which may not make sense to a human, but every human is different.  By
breaking up the large package set into a smaller subset, one can short
circuit that "best" selection by only having one provider for that given
functionality.

FEL exists for the reason you stated above, but also as a marketing
tool, as it is very easy to install from a Live image, you had somebody
a disk and say "install this, you'll have an electronics lab".  Much
easier than handing them a stack of DVDs and saying "Start this install,
select this package here, this group there, remove this package here,
format accordingly, and hopefully you got all the right selections
done".

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!