Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 3 18:23:22 UTC 2010

Josh Boyer wrote:
> The Board is responsible for Fedora overall.  They are concerned with
> Fedora uptake and ways of increasing contribution.  Based on that, they
> are trying to come up with personas that seem a likely candidate to use
> and eventually contribute to Fedora.  Based on that, they are trying to
> come up with a target audience for the DEFAULT spin.

The whole concept of a default spin is what I and a few others here object
to in the first place. There should be no one default! There should be a set
of 2 or 3 primary spins (GNOME, KDE and possibly some third option, probably
something lightweight and/or netbook-oriented) to choose from as equal
first-class citizens.

(And FWIW, I really don't see why the Fedora Project insists on abusing the
word "Desktop" to mean "GNOME".)

        Kevin Kofler