Reordering in package changelogs (was Re: rawhide report: 20100129 changes)

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri Feb 5 00:47:24 UTC 2010

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mar 2 février 2010 21:14, Björn Persson a écrit :
> > Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >> This changelog style conforms to the existing spec, it has been in use
> >> in Fedora for several years, it may surprise you, but changing the spec
> >> retroactively is not the way to prove your point.
> >
> > There's a spec? Where? I want to read it.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Changelogs

That's four examples of changelog entries. Examples are good but they're no
replacement for a specification. It's not at all clear which details are
mandatory syntax elements and which are merely the preferences of the person
who wrote the examples.

After the line "You must use one of the following formats" there are three
examples that each contain an email address with an @ in it. It may look like
the @ has to be there, but in the example above that the @ has been replaced
with " at ". If that's OK, then what other variations are OK? Is the USA-
centric date format mandatory for example, or are ISO 8601 dates permitted?
Does it matter if the day number has a leading zero? Do the lines have to
begin with asterisks and hyphens or can I use middle dots or en dashes
instead? Do I have to refer to a bug report as "(#42)" or can I write "See bug
42." instead? Does the address have to be an email address, or is a SIP
address OK since it has the same format?

Note: I have an idea of the answers to these questions. My point is that the
examples don't anwer them.

The question being discussed here seems to be how many changes should be
grouped together in a single changelog entry. Should there be one entry for
every CVS commit? One for each Koji build? One per day? One for every single
atomic change made, with only one line-with-a-dash under each line-with-an-
asterisk? What if someone were to use a single gigantic changelog entry in
their package, adding a new line-with-a-dash for every change but updating the
date instead of adding new lines-with-asterisks? Where is it written that that
would be wrong?

All of the examples contain one date, one name, one email address, one
version-release number and one change description. Should I conclude that each
entry must contain exactly one of each of those? If there may be multiple
change descriptions in a single entry, and maybe multiple version-release
numbers too, then what about multiple names or multiple dates?

Kevin's description here is closer to a specification of the syntax:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2009-April/027843.html
but even that doesn't address the question that you guys are arguing, which is
more semantic in nature. This argument wouldn't have happened if a
specification had existed.

Björn Persson