Performing a mass rebuild at home

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Feb 5 14:50:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 06:26:39AM +0100, Roberto Bagnara wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I would like to rebuild all the binaries of the current versions
> of Fedora 12 packages (that is, only the latest update of each
> package).  The reason I would like to do that is to extensively
> test an experimental version of the toolchain.
>
> Of course, the trivial "for k in $SOURCE_PACKAGES; do rpmbuild
> --rebuild $k; done" does not work, and not only for build
> dependencies: once all the dependencies are installed, many
> packages still fail to build.  What is the right/easiest
> way to accomplish this?

http://linux.dell.com/files/fedora/FixBuildRequires/ftbfs-nov08.tgz
has the scripts I use (only slightly changed since that tarball was
made, and not critically), to do my whole rawhide rebuilds.

That said, these are ugly.  They work, but make quite a few
assumptions due to the lab environment _I_ have.

As this need has arisen several times across the project, I think it
would be worthwhile to have a clean method to do this that doesn't
make such assumptions.  I simply haven't had time to do it, but would
welcome the effort.

Architecturally, you want to use mock to do all the builds, pointing
at your local copy of the F12 repositories (base + updates) to be used
as the build roots.  Then you want to loop over all of the packages
you want to rebuild, invoking mock for each.  This is what my scripts
do.  Salt to taste.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO