LD Changes To Implicit DSO Linking Update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 8 22:46:02 UTC 2010

Roland Grunberg wrote:
> This is just an update to let maintainers know that the changes to
> LD outlined here :
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking
>
> will be in fedora rawhide pretty soon.

As a result, you'll be causing dozens of FTBFS bugs just before the feature
freeze. I think this is entirely the wrong time in the release cycle to do
such a change, if it is done at all. (In fact, I still think we're breaking
backwards compatibility for no good reason, and in addition, the combination
of this "feature" and our distrowide packaging policy which dictates
removing .la files causes massive amounts of API incompatibility with
upstream projects. It's sad that FESCo rushed this through within seconds
with only one -1 vote (mine), entirely ignoring my strong objections and
seemingly unaware of the number of affected packages (which surprised even
me, it's even worse than I had expected), and that any attempt to discuss
this further was met with "we've already moved on to the next feature".)

        Kevin Kofler