LD Changes To Implicit DSO Linking Update

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 18:30:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 16:40 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> > 281 packages? Wov! (That's after the most often occurring problems have
> > been already resolved, am I right?)
> >
> > + let's say 300 "regular" FTBFS bugs -- the F13 mass rebuild will be
> > really great...
>
> To me, this shows that this "feature" is completely broken and should not
> make it into Fedora, ever.

I disagree with that. Previous changes to the build environment - even
upstream GCC changes - have broken way more packages (every GCC .x
release tends to break a lot of things temporarily). Just causing builds
to break doesn't mean the change shouldn't be made...

> > You sure it wouldn't be better to wait for F14 with this? With "no
> > frozen rawhide" you can submit the changes into rawhide quite soon and
> > everybody has time enough to work on it.
>
> +1. Why does this get rushed into F13 the day of the feature freeze?

...but I agree with this, it seems like very bad timing.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey