LD Changes To Implicit DSO Linking Update

yersinia yersinia.spiros at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:06:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 08:06 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On 8 February 2010 22:46, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > > As a result, you'll be causing dozens of FTBFS bugs just before the
> feature
> > > freeze. I think this is entirely the wrong time in the release cycle to
> do
> > > such a change, if it is done at all.
> >
> > I've been fixing upstream projects for weeks to build with
> > --no-as-needed. The list of projects that fail to build should be much
> > smaller now, especially for GNOME and Freedesktop stuff.
>
> Just as a reminder, this change is --no-add-needed, not --no-as-needed.
> They have infuriatingly similar names; one of the changes is also to
> change the name of --{no-,}add-needed to be more obvious.
>
> --no-as-needed is already the default behaviour, and means "libraries
> specified with -lfoo will be emitted into the link output in a DT_NEEDED
> entry, regardless of whether any symbols from libfoo are used in the
> link output object itself".  This may mean your binary or library ends
> up with more dependencies than it needs, but is generally harmless.

Not so harmless, IMHO, causing unecessary deps in producing RPM. IIRC
there was some discussion on this in the past. Many of these errors was
caused from using AC_CHECK_LIB autoconf macro and not AC_SEARCH_LIB in
configure.ac

> --no-add-needed is quite different.  Your binary a.out uses symbols from
> libfoo and libbar.  libfoo is linked against libbar.  But your link line
> only says -lfoo.  --add-needed behaviour, the old default, would
> implicitly add a "-lbar" as well.  --no-add-needed, the new default,
> will not, and therefore your link will probably fail.
>
> This is the case described in the libtool manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Inter_002dlibrary-dependencies.html#Inter_002dlibrary-dependencies

Nice to know that Fedora will have the same behavior of the AIX libraries in
this area, if I understood correctly the topic under discussion.

Regards
Regards