Final (hopefully) privilege escalation policy draft

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Feb 16 09:51:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 12:10 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> That's correct. This is frankly a 'realistic' decision, on the basis
> that the PackageKit maintainer believes updating packages should be
> allowed for a regular user by default and intends to implement this, and
> I don't want to dictate this decision via the policy (that's not really
> what we're writing the policy for), so I'd rather just go with PK's
> choice there.

The justification I remember for it was that authentication dialogs
should be for "exceptional" situations, not for things that might
regularly need to occur such as updates, and to avoid lulling users into
blinding typing passwords into dialogs every time they are presented
just to get stuff done.

Tim.
*/