Fedora 13 has been branched!!

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Feb 17 14:07:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:23:22PM +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Both approaches have their ups and downs, but both slow down
> development:
>       * Asking rel-eng for overwrites takes time.
>       * Asking rel-eng for a tag takes some time too. And I'm afraid
>         that with an inflationary number of tags things get unclear for
>         other maintainers. They don't know what to build their packages
>         against or when to use which tag. It requires a lot of
>         coordination between the different parties.

Usually when some of mine packages need to be rebuild because of updated
dependencies, the communication is usually one-way. I get informed that
the packages needs to be rebuild and then it happens soon afterwards,
therefore I do not even have to know how the tag is called. There are
also scripts that help to do this easily afaik. This is also the
advantage of using a tag, because then I can still create bugfixes by
myself without being disturbed my the buildroots. Off course then the
package also needs to be rebuilt in the staging tag, but this can be
easily automated and already might be.

> So we both agree about the advantages of custom tags, but we are talking
> about the development versions here and not about stable releases. In
> the branches that are under development we would not do a bugfix against
> the "stable" tag. Instead, all updates are supposed to target
> development. If we really needed a bugfix in a development branch, this
> could easily be done with early branching.

I am confused here, since there is no early branching, because branching
already happened and F-13 is now stabilizing and afaik should be treated
more like it was stable than like it is rawhide. E.g. major updates
should now break rawhide first and if the fallout is handled, then it
could be done for F-13.

Regards
Till