Fedora 13 has been branched!!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 18 03:30:31 UTC 2010

Till Maas wrote:
> I'll remember this. But why don't you use a special tag for this instead
> of a buildroot override? I believe this question is not answered and I
> even might have asked it once in IRC. ;-)

Because, as has been said earlier in this thread, special tags also have
their problems:
* explosion of special tags. If we had used a special tag for all the KDE
upgrades (which all needed buildroot overrides, or would have under the
current procedure) since F12 Alpha (which had 4.3.0), we'd now have:
dist-f12-kde431
dist-f12-kde432
== beta was here (so the above didn't need buildroot overrides under the old
system), F12 final also shipped with 4.3.2 ==
dist-f12-kde433
dist-f12-kde434
dist-f12-kde435
dist-f12-kde440
For F11, (counting from Beta because that was the old system with
Alpha/Beta/Preview), we'd have all these plus 4 more (4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.2.4,
4.3.0).
If every grouped update did that, Koji would be littered with special tags.
* problems with merging from the special tags (what if dist-f12-kde440 and
dist-f12-someotherlib123 both carry their own rebuilds of, say, compiz? It
might not even get noticed if they're on different special tags. Depending
on which of the builds "wins", one or the other dependency will be broken)

        Kevin Kofler