rawhide report: 20100216 changes

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 15:50:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 10:20 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:07:52AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > libguestfs is using its own find-requires script, which is what appears
> > to be generating those.  From a quick look it's not clear whether it
> > really needs exactly those files or whether just a soname match would be
> > good enough.  http://bugzilla.redhat.com/547496 seems to be the relevant
> > bug.
>
> It really does require those exact files.  It's not linking, it's
> composing an appliance on the fly using files taken from the host:
>
> http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/supermin-appliance-now-in-febootstrap/

That still seems fragile.  If (to pick an example) libntfs-3g changed
from .so.73.0.0 to .so.73.0.1, you'd need to rebuild libguestfs.

Moreover, the dynamic linker looks at sonames, not filenames.  In a
functionality sense - whether apps in the constructed appliance will
work - you really do not need exact file name.  You could map at runtime
from soname to providing file by parsing the output of 'ldconfig -p'.

I guess you might also want all the symlinks that point to that file?
Which would be something like:

rpm -qlf $lib | while read file ; do
	readlink -s $file | grep -q $lib && echo $file
done

Again, I'm kind of guessing at what you're doing here, so this might be
off base.  But it's worth remembering that other, saner packaging
systems don't have file requires, so in terms of consistent behaviour
across distros you're kind of begging for trouble by using them.

- ajax