Heads up! Broken deps in Upgrade from 12 to 13

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sun Feb 21 02:03:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 20:46 -0500, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 02:15 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Just for kicks, the current
> >
> >    Upgrade from  12+updates  to  13+updates+testing
> >
> > broken deps look like below. While several may be due to dead packages
> > that have been removed in 13, some are likely due to violated upgrade
> > paths and bad/missing Obsoletes for old subpackages.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Summary of broken packages (by src.rpm name):
>
> [snip]
>
> >     openvrml
>
> [snip]
>
> > openvrml-0.18.3-5.fc12.i686  requires  libboost_thread-mt.so.5
> >     openvrml-0.18.3-5.fc12.i686  requires  libboost_filesystem-mt.so.5
>
> This doesn't look to me like F12 updates are being factored in properly.
> openvrml-0.18.3-10 is currently in F12 updates.

I guess I should properly read the headings... I guess I misunderstood
where this was going from your summary.

If I understand it correctly, it's telling me that a F12 that hasn't
been updated will have problems being upgraded to F13.  Certainly that's
not ideal; but it doesn't strike me as exactly tragic, either.  How
important is this considered, generally?

I'm not crystal clear on why this is broken, either.  It may have
something to do with the fact that the openvrml binary RPM changed to
being a metapackage; but the implication of Boost is a bit confounding.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>