Fwd: Inclusion of Ingres RDBMS in Fedora

Jay Hankinson jeremy.hankinson at ingres.com
Tue Feb 23 16:48:03 UTC 2010

On 2/23/10 12:07 AM, Oliver Falk wrote:
> Hi Jay!
>
> On 02/23/2010 04:09 AM, Jay Hankinson wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
>>       * Ingres requires that the server executable is setuid (non-root)
>>
> Actually I don't know any>rules<  that speak against this. However, if
> it's really needed, then we cannot really do anything against it. And if
> there's a rule that speaks against it, there's usually also a 'this is
> the way to fix it' guide :-)

rpmlint flagged it, which is really why I mentioned it. Increasingly
looking like it's not going to be an issue though. :-)

>>       * Current build process uses $ORIGIN for relative RPATH linking.
>>
> RPath is bad - And really is something that  needs to be fixed; No
> matter which OS and/or distribution we are talking about!

Regular RPath, yes I agree entirely. $ORIGIN allows relative linking wrt
to the binary location and is (as I understand it) as secure as anything
else. As I said, I can work around it though.

>>       * Executable stack code
>>
> And? :-) I'm not too familiar with NX. However, nobody will force you to
> compile it with no-exec-stack :-)
>

>> If the best approach is "write the spec, follow the guidelines, create a
>> Bugzilla issue and we'll go from there", then that is what I will do. If
>> I can gain experience by assisting in with the packaging of other
>> software for fedora then I'm happy to do this too.
>>
> I (personally) really appreciate your wish to include Ingres. I'm not
> working with Ingres, but I'm always happy to get in touch with new
> databases; Since it's (also) part of my job :-)
>
> And yes, the best way is to craft a specfile and follow the guidelines.
>
> If you need assistance in packaging, please don't hesitate to contact me...

Thank you, that's really encouraging to hear. I've been trying to get
this project underway for over a year. Very glad to be moving forward
with it at last. I will no doubt be sending questions this way on a
regular basis.