fedora-release-rawhide, et. al.

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 21:29:31 UTC 2010

Right now, we have the following:

F13 branched tree:
fedora-release - enabled - points to F13
fedora-release-rawhide - disabled - points to rawhide

Rawhide:
fedora-release - enabled - sets releasever to 14, ergo points to rawhide
fedora-release-rahwide - disabled - points to rawhide

This would imply that fedora-release-rawhide doesn't serve much purpose
*in* rawhide. So, I'm wondering if we might want to do this differently.

Proposal: don't ship fedora-release-rawhide at all. To move between
streams, run "yum --releasever <whatever> install/upgrade fedora-release"

Going over the various usage cases:

1) Release has not yet branched, want to switch, or use rawhide packges

 Currently:
  yum install fedora-release-rawhide
  yum --enablerepo=rawhide ...

 New:
  yum --releasever=<next> ...

2) Release has branched; want to pull from never-frozen rawhide devel
   stream.

 Currently:
  yum install fedora-release-rawhide
  yum --enablerepo=rawhide ...

 New:
  yum --releasever=<next> ...

3) You're on rawhide, the release has branched, you want to go to the
   stable release.

 Currently:
  If you don't have rawhide enabled, do nothing - this happens automatically.
  If you do have rawhide enabled:
   ... you're kind of screwed.

 New:
  Do nothing - this happens automatically.

4) You're on rawhide, the release has branched, and you want to *stay*
  on rawhide.

 Currently:
  If you're using fedora-release-rawhide to be on rawhide, do nothing.
  If you're using fedora-release + MM:
   yum install fedora-release-rawhide
   yum --enablerepo=rawhide upgrade

 New:
  yum --releasever=<next> upgrade

Am I missing something? Do people think this would be better, or worse?

Bill