Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Feb 27 05:25:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 02:38:07 +0100,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I'd say not even that. If you miss a release, there is one coming up in
> > the not too distant future and it isn't a big deal. And if a few hardy
> > soles want to look at your stuff early, it is often the case they can run
> > the rawhide package on stable releases without too much effort.
>
> Not always. In fact quite often that doesn't work properly. Dependency hell.

I think depends a lot on the particular packages and how long rawhide or
development have had to diverge from the version you are using. And sometimes
when it doesn't work immediately, you can rebuild from the source rpm to
link with versions of libraries on the version you are running.

And yes, normal end users aren't going to want to do any of this kind of
thing because its too much work and it's easy to screw things up and you
need to know how to recover.

P.S. I don't use enablerepo. I'll yum install a local copy of the rpm and see
what it needs if it doesn't install successfully. I also maintain local repos
for playing with test stuff I have built locally.