James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 27 05:52:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 01:36 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Just so you can't ever use this argument again.  I want fewer updates and
> > I'm a Fedora user.
>
> IMHO you're really using the wrong distro. ;-)

 IMNSHO, you are.

> My point is that there are plenty of users who want the current updates or
> even more updates.

 "Citation needed"

>  And whereas the people like you have plenty of other
> choices

 Actually, no. Shipping updates as fast as possible is not the only
difference Fedora has.

> , those users have very few choices

 And, again, you are wrong.
 Rawhide and Debian unstable are both the obvious choices, Gentoo is
still used by some I think. A little more work with a little more
stability then gives you Debian testing and now moving to the latest
Fedora pre-releases.
 Yes, those options are less stable than Fedora release should be ...
but you appear to be trying to move Fedora release down to that level
rather than help move them up.
 I've known people who want exactly what you seem to profess to want and
use one of the above options. Why don't you?

> , Fedora is the main one. See e.g.
> the strongly positive feedback we got from some users for our KDE 4.4.0
> update (and I'm sure there are many more happy users who just don't bother
> sending a "Thanks, you rule!" type mail).

 And how many silently cursed the 100s of MBs you forced on them? How
much did the above people appreciate the firehose more than having to
fix one bad update.
 F12 is 3 months old and has ~8GB of updates for x86_64, but the
firehose has pumped out 18GB of packages (and that's not including
testing). F11 is 9, is ~12GB but has pumped out 36GB+ (I'm not sure I
have full package stats. from F11 GA). How many users want that? Hell,
how many developers not on rawhide want that?

 But, again, as has been pointed out to you many times now ... the
current proposal is a tiny speed bump in that horrendous amount of
updates.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.27