Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 27 12:36:57 UTC 2010

Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> said:
>> P.S. I don't use enablerepo. I'll yum install a local copy of the rpm and
>> see what it needs if it doesn't install successfully.
>
> That seems like extra and unnecessary work.  You doesn't do anything
> without telling you, so "yum --enablrepo=\*testing update foo" is going
> to tell you more about what dependencies are needed than "yum
> localinstall foo.rpm".

But the localinstall is actually less dangerous. Let's say you want to
update package X from Rawhide. The new version of X now uses a library Y
which is available in both the stable release and Rawhide. Using enablerepo
will pull in the Rawhide version of Y, which may drag in more Rawhide stuff.
The localinstall will use the release version of Y.

This also applies to updates-testing, but to a lesser extent.

On the other hand, X might not be tested with the old version of Y. So there
are drawbacks to everything. Selective updates are necessarily unreliable.

        Kevin Kofler