FESCo wants a more sane updates policy (feedback requested)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 15:21:28 UTC 2010

On 26 February 2010 22:54, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> - If stable pushes were more restricted, perhaps that would get us more
>  testing? If someone required a newer version and could easier
>  install/test from updates-testing and provide feedback, don't we all
>  win? Perhaps we could have PackageKit/yum say "you have the latest
>  stable version of foo, but foo-2.0 is in updates-testing, would you
>  like to test it and provide feedback?

I had PK code to do that, but the check for updates took way too long,
as the updates-testing repo had to be enabled, the primaries
downloaded (and maybe the file lists too), updates resolved and then
disabled again, in ADDITION to the normal updates check. The package
manager is just too slow to get PackageKit data to make such a thing
work without making the user wait an extra 30 seconds.

If we could speed up the dep checking and downloading, I agree it
would be better for usability, and the exposure of updates-testing
generally.

Richard.