Dodji Seketeli dodji at redhat.com
Sun Feb 28 10:44:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 01:23:21AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Speaking as someone who is still on F11, I want the latest software as
> long
> as it doesn't break anything, because most often there are new useful features
> in it.

I think one of the problems is precisely that "new features as long as
it doesn't break anything" is practically impossible to ensure today.
When it happens, it's mostly by luck as there is obviously not enough
testing happening between the moment when the upstream package is
released and the moment when we push it into Fedora stable.

To maximize testing for a given package, it would require at least e.g.
a "Rawhide to Branched" cycle, or/and more time in updates-testing to
give people an opportunity to test the package more and/or some
$SOLUTION.

What would you propose to to maximize the chances of ensuring your "new
features as long as it doesn't break anything" scenario?

> >  If they did, they'd upgrade to f12.
>
> No. Upgrading is a major pain. For example, on my EeePC I have very little
> space so before upgrading I have to uninstall the largest packages to be
> able to upgrade at all. And even then, yum-based upgrade is the only option.

[...]

> But even without that case, upgrading takes time and one has to check
> if
> everything still works afterwards (for example, read the release notes).
> When you're busy, you don't have time to do that. So I tend to stay with
> a release until its end of life.
>
> >  And further still, why wouldn't they be running rawhide?
>
> Because I don't want to wake up worrying if last night's update broke
> my system or not.

So there is a conflict between your desire of having new features and
the aversion of some maintainers/users (including you) for instability.
I looks like both sides cannot be statisfied at 100%

> > The rolling update release exists.  Why force rolling updates on
> > people
> > that haven't chosen to run rawhide?
>
> Nobody is forcing updates on me. I like things the way they are now.

Well, some people do feel otherwise. Maybe a balance has to made
somehow?

        Dodji