Proposed change to openmpi packaging

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sat Jan 16 16:35:15 UTC 2010

On 01/15/2010 01:37 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 01/15/2010 09:52 AM, Doug Ledford wrote:
>> We are discussing the complete removal of pkgconfig support from openmpi
>> (and never including it in mvapich and mvapich2 which are ready for
>> Fedora package review submission).  The proper way to invoke mpi
>> compiles is through the use of the mpicc (or equivalent) compiler
>> instead of directly via cc/gcc with -I and -L -l statements.  The reason
>> is that the proper list of things to pass to gcc may vary from build to
>> build and while mpicc is built each time and is always in sync with the
>> options used to build the mpi package, the pkgconfig files are handled
>> manually and subject to bit rot over time.
>>
>> If there are objections, please raise them now.
>>

> As long as the wrapper scripts are in un-versioned locations, I'm fine
> with it.

The wrapper scripts are in unversioned locations, however it wouldn't
matter even if they were.  The proper (according to the MPI packaging
guidelines approved by FESCo) way to access MPI compilers is via loading
their environment modules module, which can be found in
/etc/modulefiles/%{name}-%{_arch}%{?_cc_name_suffix}.  The
%{?_cc_name_suffix} will never amount to anything in an official Fedora
build as for gcc it's empty, but it's there so if someone builds an MPI
with a different compiler then can easily adapt our spec file to their
needs and differentiate between builds with this suffix.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at