sysconfig ifcfg-* support for running custom post-up scripts per interface?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Jan 22 18:13:06 UTC 2010

On 10-01-22 11:37:51, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Richard Zidlicky (rz at linux-m68k.org) said:
> > > .. just wondering why it's under /sbin and not under
> > > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
> > >
> > > It doesn't feel very good to add custom configuration under
> > > /sbin.
> >
> > same opinion here. I have actually used this for a while, adds
> > one more thing that needs be verified after system upgrades, not
> > very nice.
>
> Realistically, the conglomeration of configuration and scripts in
> /etc/sysconfing/network-scripts was never thought out well. But it's
> not worth dealing with the historical baggage to change it now.

Perhaps there should be a default /sbin/ifup-local script that
dispatches to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-local/<interface>?
It could contain useful comments, including that it is by default
replaceable as its target directory is empty by default.

It's not hopeless, after all (unless NM is running).