packaging shared libraries without autoconf and automake

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat Jan 23 01:22:36 UTC 2010

I'm building a package for levmar.  Upstream does not use autoconf,
automake, or libtool.  The supplied makefile builds a statically linked
library, liblevmar.a.  With trivial changes I can build a shared library
liblevmar.so instead, and I've verified that this works with the
supplied demo program.

I don't want to replace the upstream Makefile with use of autoconf and
automake, and the libtool documentation doesn't really explain how to
use libtool without those.  Can I just do the shared library versioning
"by hand", by creating the appropriate symlinks in the package?  Or is
there some other preferred way to deal with this kind of situation?

Thanks!
Eric