Unable to start X

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:49:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 14:29, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 13:04 -0800, darrell pfeifer wrote:
>

> > There was some breakage recently with the graphic boot. Try hitting
> > the escape key on boot to get the text startup instead.
>
> This an xorg-server issue or something else?  Cause I just posted bout
> this issue (see f12 to rawhide upgrade), and ran into same sort of
> problem, although mixed results.

Prior to Christmas I had two separate problems

a) Plymouth graphic boot needed to be escaped to text mode at boot
b) The intel driver didn't work (even if plymouth did)

Both problems exhibit somewhat the same outcome - you get to gdm login and
just get a cursor.

The intel driver problem lasted for all of the 2.6.32 kernels from F12 to
rawhide

With the newer 2.6.33 kernels I've seen the both problems come and go. For
instance, there were a few 2.6.33 kernels where the intel driver worked as
long as you hit escape to get past the plymouth problem.

With the current rawhide kernel
(kernel-2.6.33-0.20.rc5.git0.fc13<buildinfo?buildID=152598>)
both problems are resolved.

darrell