Beware: Thunderbird (ver 3.0.1) CORRUPTS all email state

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jan 29 00:04:42 UTC 2010

Jesse Keating writes:

> On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 17:58 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Steve Dickson writes:
>>
>> > I guess I have a different definition of crap... ;-)
>> >
>> > I have been on both sides of these bugs... So I know (the hard way)
>> > when you push something out that breaks existing configurations, its crap!
>>
>> If you need to run stable software, Fedora is not the right distro for you.
>> You should consider switching to RHEL/CentOS, in that case.
>>

> Yet we should be striving to maintain stability within our stable
> releases.  In fact, when we fail to deliver stable updates that's a
> reason to investigate to see what went wrong.

Agree, still, when something breaks it's not a reason to get emotional.
Stuff occasionally breaks. There's no need for an editorial, though, when
that happens. Put all the relevant details into Bugzilla, and post a capsule
summary in users at .

Just yesterday, the recent pulseaudio update layed an egg on me. A
combination of Firefox, and a specific .wav file, causes the new pulseaudio
daemon to either lock up, or peg the CPU at 100%, and freezing Firefox. So,
I was in the same boat as the OP. I had to downgrade pulseaudio.

But instead of publishing an editorial, I found another user beating me to
the punch in Bugzilla, but a bit off the mark in the analysis of the
breakage. After amending the bug with the real facts of life, 24 hours after
posting a comment in users@, a couple of more folks joined the party,
confirming the regression, so I'm sure it'll get taken care of, sometime
soon.