Package maintainers -- want test results by mail?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jun 2 12:49:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 14:10 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 06/02/2010 01:49 PM, James Laska wrote:

> >> Unless rpmlint starts to use a massively cleaned up set of rules, its
> >> results are mostly noise.
> >
> > Which packages do you maintain where the output has become unmanageable?
>
> Noise is managable, but ...
>
> * Just have a look at the output rpm produces on any arbitrary packages.
> 90% of the output it produces is just (silly) noise.
>
> * Just have a look into most package reviews: Many of them suffer from
> churn on the (silly) noise rpmlint produces.

It's a *lint tool.  So, depending on one's perspective, all lint tools
produce noise.  If it's not useful to you, you can choose not to opt-in.
Also, if you don't [co-]maintain any packages, this won't be an issue.

> That's why I consider rpmlint's current ruleset not to be suiteable for
> automated QA.

Agreed, not all packages fit into a neat bucket.  But if there are any
specifics you can highlight, and if you are interested in making the
output more meaningful to a package maintainer, we can start the
discussion of how to address the problem.  If we never use rpmlint, it
won't get any better.

Some previously discussed ideas include ...

     1. Blacklist - add support so maintainers can specify which results
        to ignore
     2. Only highlighting when rpmlint output regresses - this is
        intended to help maintainers of unruly packages or packages
        where rpmlint output has not been monitored/controlled since
        initial packaging
     3. Addressing the concerns raised by the package

Thanks,
James