suggestion: rescue boot extension

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Jun 2 21:04:18 UTC 2010

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Is it better to have a separate volume for this, or to just have a sort
> of rescue initramfs ...?
>
> Seems like the latter is more flexible but then I'm no boot process wizard.

Good suggestion.

Another one: What about LVM snapshots? and/or btrfs snapshots?

Either way would be less wasteful than a whole partition that would be
obsolete in a few weeks and may or may not have to deal with byte
growing pains if the initial size is too small years down the road.

Another scenario: Your Fedora 14 rescue boot partition was built against
kernel 2.6.34, but the root file system of your Fedora 18 installation
is of a new experimental file system only found in kernel 2.6.38. The
rescue partition is wasted space at this point.