about php-qa, phpUnderControl and meta packages

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 4 03:45:25 UTC 2010

> James Antill wrote:
> > 2. There's no way to do the groupremove operation, easily.
>
> The groupremove operation is completely and utterly broken by design anyway:

 It doesn't act perfectly, in all cases, no.
[...]

> Try groupremoving gnome-desktop on a system with both GNOME and KDE
> installed and watch it try to remove half of KDE while leaving half of GNOME
> sitting there wasting space.

 Right, "gnome-desktop" is a typical group. Silly me.

>  And it just CANNOT be fixed.

 You mean apart from using yum from rawhide and doing:

yum remove @gnome-desktop --setopt=groupremove_leaf_only=true

...or groups as objects, or...

> The only (mostly) reliable way to undo a groupinstall is yum history. And
> even that will only work as expected if the group was recently installed.

 So groupremove _has_ to do the same thing as an undo of a groupinstall
to not be considered "utterly broken by design"? I guess that means
plain remove is also "utterly broken by design"?

 Wait ... don't answer here ... if you want to troll/rant, feel free to
send me personal email where I'll happily ignore it.
 Subjects like "yum should be faster than rpm" or "why don't we just
move to apt/smart/pacman/image-packaging-system" are probably your best
bang for the buck.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
"... so the consumable rawhide is likely not to get as many updates
 as its users would like to have." -- Kevin Kofler