llvm case study: yum's handling of newly-converted noarch subpackages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 9 04:43:33 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/09/2010 09:58 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Nonsense. There are plenty of options in software we ship which we don't
> > and can't support.
>
> Then stop including such a option or mark it unsupported or experimental.

A lot of software we ship supports more than just Fedora, you just can't
expect all options to work on Fedora.

As for yum in particular, there are plenty of ways to end up with a broken
setup by modifying yum.conf, e.g. exclude=kdelibs will definitely let you end
up with broken dependencies from updates if you have ANY KDE packages
installed, likewise exclude=xulrunner if you have Firefox or any other Gecko-
using package installed. You just cannot expect any random setting in yum.conf
to result in a working setup.

The defaults are set the way they are for a reason.

        Kevin Kofler