pidgin obsoleting itself

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 9 22:00:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 21:38 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:39:52 -0400, James wrote:
> >  And if the user never has pkgA-1 installed, and does "install
> > pkgA-blah" then that's all they'll get.
>
> If you modify the scenario, we will talk past eachother.
> The scenario is:

 I didn't.

>   1. User has pkgA-1 installed.
>   2. Packager performs a split and introduces at least one new subpkg, so:
>      pkgA-blah-2 and pkgA-2.
>   3. User follows some documentation and runs "yum install pkgA-blah" to
>      add something.
>   4. Package "pkgA" is erased (obsoleted) => bug.

 Ok, so, as I said before...

1. User has nothing installed.

2. User follows some documentation and runs "yum install pkgA-blah" to
add something.

3. Package "pkgA" is not installed.

...the split makes no difference, either pkgA-blah implies pkgA or it
does not. If it does not and the user asks for just pkgA-blah, then we
don't give them pkgA.

 Now you might argue that there are packages, for _both_ our examples,
where the user really does want pkgA as well (and it's not a strict
requirement).
 We may get suggests eventually, but this has nothing to do with
Obsoletes.

> That isn't what I refer to. For some splits you don't have a requirement.
> See e.g. a real-world example, where installing/adding a Nagios plugin
> package removed Nagios because of competing Obsoletes:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/590709#c13

 This example is a little more convoluted, esp. as F-12 doesn't have
-common before and -common always had it (and should thus. have used a
"Conflicts: nagios < 3.2.1-2" in nagios-common).
 But here I think you have:

 nagios-1

 nagios-2 = Obsoletes: nagios < 2
 nagios-common-2 = Obsoletes: nagios < 2

 nagios-plugin-load = Requires: nagios-plugins = 1

 nagios-plugins = Requires: nagios-common

...and then if the user does "yum install nagios-plugin-load" before
they've updated nagios-common then yum will install just nagios-common
(I think).
 But, again, you are _assuming_ that the user always installed nagios
for what became both nagios and nagios-common. This is not necessarily
true.