rfc: python2.7 for F14

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 22 20:47:06 UTC 2010

Am Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:02:40 -0400
schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com>:

> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 08:40 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> > Am Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:34:02 -0400
> > schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com>:

> > > Is there a Fedora feature page for gcc 4.5?  I briefly searched,
> > > but didn't find one.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that building things twice is a waste: if there are
> > > bugs, having intermediate builds may help us determine whether
> > > the problem relates to the Python or the GCC revision bump.  It
> > > may be simpler to do a full rebuild of anything with:
> > >   Requires: python(abi) = 2.6
> > > as soon as python 2.7 hits rawhide.
> > >
> > > Is there a good (automated) way of doing this?
> >
> > I guess yes:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_Rebuild_SOP
> >
> > It just needs to get modified to work on python(abi) = 2.6 only and
> > not on all packages.
>
> Thanks, that's a great help - I hadn't seen that page.  Looks like an
> excellent starting point.
>
> We need to look at all built (sub)packages with a requires of
> python(abi) = 2.6, figure out the set of src.rpms they come from, and
> we'll want to rebuild those once 2.7 is in f-14 in Koji.

Hmm, I just tried to write a little script for that (based on the one
from above), but I had some problems with bodhi.

e.g. 'repoquery --requires bodhi' shows nothing (because there are only
subpackages and no main package). When calling 'repoquery --requires
bodhi-client', there should be a python(abi), but there is only:
/usr/bin/python
koji
python-fedora >= 0.3.5
python-simplejson
yum

So it might not be a that easy task...

I think rebuilding the complete repo would be the easiest (or along
with gcc 4.5. If a package fails, it can be compiled locally without
gcc 4.5, but with python 2.7, so it can be decided, what rebuild caused
it...

Or do you have another idea, to find all the needed packages?
(I still wonder, why bodhi-client doesn't require python(abi) = 2.6....)

	Thomas