rpath handling

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:55:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:34:34AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > None of the above.  Why libtool isn't handling this rpath (and the binaries
> > created during the build process) correctly when it does in other software.
>
> No, libtool is adding an rpath fine; see below:
>
> > So if you have the package somewhere I can help you debug the libtool issue
> > and see if we need to do this, if there's a new libtool bug, or if there's
> > an issue in the way gtk-doc-scanobj is being built in the package.
>
> No, it's not a libtool bug.  Please reread my earlier messages, I'm
> not sure how I can make this more clear.  But I'll rewrite it anyways:

I understand everything that you're saying.  You are not understanding what
I'm saying.

> The old glib2.spec:
>
> %build
> %configure --disable-gtk-doc --enable-static --with-runtime-libdir=../../%{_lib}
> # remove rpaths
> sed -i 's|^hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=.*|hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=""|g' libtool
> sed -i 's|^runpath_var=LD_RUN_PATH|runpath_var=DIE_RPATH_DIE|g' libtool
>
> Note that libtool is mangled *before* we run make.  This works fine if
> we don't need to run gtk-doc during the build (but if we do, as if
> we're running from a git snapshot, then we get screwed).
>
> If we strip the rpaths *after* we run make, then we're fine.  No
> rpaths in the final Fedora glib2 RPMS, but we can still run stuff
> uninstalled.

The fact that you have to use those sed lines shows that there's something
wrong somewhere as we normally don't need them to produce rpath-free
binaries if we're using Fedora or Red Hat libtool.  Since you have the
ability to commit upstream, please fix glib2's build scripts.

If you can't figure out how to do that, you can get me a link to your srpm
that shows the issue and I'll take a look.  I've asked for that three times
now, though, so at this point it'll have to go on my todo list as I've got
other things to finish off today.

-Toshio