Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 08:30:22 UTC 2010

On 01/03/10 00:06, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> (Sorry, I reordered the replies a bit so I can reply to them without
> referring back and forth.)

It's also called "political licence"

> Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On 02/27/2010 04:30 PM, Mail Lists wrote:
>> an

1:

>>>    I do want updates. Kernel updates, for example, are very important -
>>> they carry many improvements - not just drivers but functionality as
>>> well. The ones that are less obvious are the bugs that happen rarely but
>>> that can be nasty (an occasional file system glitch for example).
>>>

>> As as enduser.
>> I would agree with this.
>
> So you claim to agree with the parent poster…

If you mean these points from "Mail Lists" then yes.

>>>    These kind of non-user-demand driven fixes should not be ignored in any
>>> noone-is-asking so dont release approach.
>>
>> If it's not broken, don't fix it.
>
> … yet you actually don't, and…
>
>>>    The rare-but-nasty bug fixes will seldom have user demand - but
>>> nonetheless once identified and fixed should be shared.
>>
>> Bug fixes would also be applied.
>
> … so which is it now? Do you now think bugfixes which don't fix a bug in our
> Bugzilla should be pushed or not?

The why\how is it a bug?
Who decided?
Handshake?
If it's a bug and you (generic) know about it,
please refrence it in bugzilla,
even if only providing a link to upstream Bugzilla\Similar

FWIW, I think they should indeed be
> pushed, as the fact that the bug is not in our Bugzilla does not mean it
> doesn't affect Fedora users (and so the package IS in fact broken and should
> be fixed)!

Thats what Bugzilla is for.
If people so not report bugs,
they should be educated to do so.
Whether user\dev\packager\ etc..
No one is a mind reader.

> And in addition:
>
>> On the everyday boxes there is FedoraN + F13\Rawhide Kernel(s).
>
> … so the stable Fedora kernels aren't upgraded often enough for you, but …

As "1" above. (fixes things for me)
I do report bugs.

I also read Koji notes.
But it's not a repo.

>> If it's not broken, don't fix it.
>>
>> Thats what the F13/Rawhide boxes are for.
>
> … you seem to advocate an even more conservative upgrade policy?

Semantics.
You want embellishment go Rawhide.
otherwise stick with Security\Bugs as updates.

> I must say I don't understand your position at all.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

It's still the same.
Security\Bugfixes(BZ'ed ones).
So there is a refrence point.