Worthless updates

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 3 03:38:46 UTC 2010

Seth Vidal wrote:
> 2. We would issue security updates whenever they happened. Issue bugfix
> updates once every 2 weeks. Everything else once a month.

And make regression fixes wait for 2 weeks? Very bad plan. (And no matter
how much testing you do, there will ALWAYS be regressions discovered in
stable.)

It'd also suck for things which get frequently updated, e.g. KDE bugfix
upgrades. Depending on schedules, we might be already working on the next
KDE when the previous one finally gets pushed.

And in addition, it'd suck for our users which would get a huge update
taking hours, or even days if their connection is slow, instead of frequent
updates taking a couple minutes each. For many people, especially with
slower connections, this is a dealbreaker.

> it would curtail this sort of thing, it seems to me

Not really. The trivial updates would still go out, you'd just get a ton of
trivial updates once a month.

        Kevin Kofler