Worthless updates

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 3 04:25:19 UTC 2010

On 03/03/2010 05:04 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  said:
>> Cpan is being used to keep a perl-installation "current".
>
> Trying to mix CPAN and RPM managed perl modules is a recipie for
> disaster already.
Right, but this doesn't invalidate trying to help keeping the impact small.

>  That's not a good reason for a meaningless update.
As I already tried to tell you, this update is *not meaningless*.

Due to perl's working principles and due the work-flow perl-module
authors apply, it is the version number which matters.

>>> I update when there's a bugfix that
>>> affects my platform (a bugfix that only affects perl 5.11 users doesn't
>>> affect F11 users) or when there's a new feature I need.
>> Wait until you will want to address a "serious/critical" bugfix to a
>> perl-module which carries a dependency on a perl-module you haven't kept
>> in sync with CPAN
>
> That's a good reason to update the depended-upon modules.  Can you show
> a case where a module version that was only updated for compatibility
> with a newer version of perl was required?

There have been many such cases - Most of these cases however simply did
not have a visible impact, because most perl-modules in Fedora have been
kept "current enough".

If they occur, they show up as updates requests "Please update perl-xxx"
in bugzilla.

Ralf