Worthless updates

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 09:17:01 UTC 2010

> On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/03/2010 09:03 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> > My own personal opinion is that stable updates should only fix serious
> > issues, or security problems. Fedora has such a short lifetime as it is,
> > I really can't see the value in pushing features to F11 when it will die
> > soon. I think it's far better to leave the churn in rawhide.
>
> Let F11 rott because it's EOL soon?
>
> Pardon, but you can't be serious about this.
>
> At least I am trying to provide all released Fedoras with same amount of
> attention.
>
> Anybody still wonders about Fedora's poor shape and it's reputation?

Hmm, I would not say that Fedora is in poor shape :). When we speak about
reputation believe me it's way worse if an update breaks smth on my sister's
computer than me having to fix smth during installation and verifying it works
before giving her the computer. And break does not only mean what we accept as
a break, e.g.  a simple fonts hinting change will be considered a break if
this causes some of her documents to look in a different way. We are not
speaking for tech savy users only and change for this type of users means you
have to take care of "This update broke my homework formatting" or "Where is
that blue icon for usb devices now?" and etc.

Alexander Kurtakov