Worthless updates

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:18:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 22:57:56 -0500, Toshio wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:07:29PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > Ok... removing deprecated uses is a questionable at best update, but
> > > here is the kicker.  The perl in F11 is perl-5.10.0-82.fc11.  So these
> > > functions aren't actually deprecated in F11.  So... why is this update
> > > going out?  What possible benefit does the user get from this?  Does
> > > anybody see this as a reasonable update to publish on F11?
> > >

> > the suggestion I had made at fudcon went something like this:
> >
> > 1. all packages being put in as updates would need to be marked as per
> > the type of update. the default is 'trivial'. Options might include: new
> > pkg, trivial, feature, bugfix, security
> >
> > 2. We would issue security updates whenever they happened. Issue bugfix
> > updates once every 2 weeks. Everything else once a month.

Arbitrary delays? Do you plan to enforce delayed pushing by measuring the
age of an update request? Or would it be that if the next push were to
happen on March 14th, update requests from March 13th would be pushed
already after one day?

Without a good explanation, the plan sounds really bad to me. If I learn
about a crasher bug in a package (perhaps in upstream's message board by a
user who mentions Fedora), I would need to wait two weeks for the bug-fix
updates to be published. And meanwhile I could do nothing to reach all
other users that might be affected by the problem, but who just are not
familiar with how to report it appropriately.

Currently, it isn't pretty already either. Bodhi spams bugzilla about
update requests as soon as they are entered into the system, but prior to
pushing them into a repo. The bug reporters scratch their heads as the
updates are not available anywhere other than in koji. Bodhi spams bz
once more when they get pushed, but it takes additional time (measured
in days) for the updates to be mirrored.

> FWIW, +1 to this general outline.
>
> -Toshio

-1 multiplied with the number of lines I've written above.