tor dependency insanity.

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Mar 3 10:25:38 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:

>> Upstart does not have a good way yet to disable/enable service so you
>> have to edit /etc/init/tor.conf resp. /etc/event.d/tor manually.
>
> Which is one of the reasons why you aren't supposed to use native
> Upstarts scripts yet!

it's a somehow strange situation... there were mass bug reports requiring
LSB headers in initscripts, Fedora uses its proprietary, non LSB compliant
initsystem for most of its services and provides upstart.

I do not see any reason not to provide -upstart initscripts alternatively;
beside their simplicity, the parallel startup and the removal of the racy
pidfile mechanism, they allow to respawn services.

What's wrong with giving users the choice to do a simple 'yum install
tor' + all the graphical management stuff, or 'yum install tor-core
tor-upstart'[1] + other configuration management methods (e.g. cfengine)?

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1]  requires -upstart packages without the bad 'Requires: tor' (e.g.
     https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/tor-0.2.1.24-1100.fc12
     https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/tor-0.2.1.24-1200.fc12)