Worthless updates

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 3 10:53:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 21:07 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> > Ok... removing deprecated uses is a questionable at best update, but
>> > here is the kicker.  The perl in F11 is perl-5.10.0-82.fc11.  So these
>> > functions aren't actually deprecated in F11.  So... why is this update
>> > going out?  What possible benefit does the user get from this?  Does
>> > anybody see this as a reasonable update to publish on F11?
>
> My own personal opinion is that stable updates should only fix serious
> issues, or security problems. Fedora has such a short lifetime as it is,
> I really can't see the value in pushing features to F11 when it will die
> soon. I think it's far better to leave the churn in rawhide.

Rawhide for the masses to stay uptodate? Dont support F-11 well
because it will die "soon"? Same in your opinion for F-12 (leave the
churn in rawhide)?

Why isn't it up to the maintainer to provide latest versions even for
"die soon" versions of Fedora if he want to do it?

If someone think he doesn't need an particular update, dont update it.
I never had a gun pointing to my head telling me i HAVE to update
everything.

BUT, Fedora was my choice BECAUSE i get/got the latest and greatest.
Even without running rawhide/factory/cooker.

Why kill the advantage of Fedora?

People seem to forget that not everybody can/want run rawhide.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium