Worthless updates

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 3 16:37:14 UTC 2010

Till Maas wrote:
> How about we keep updates and updates-testing more like they are and add
> another repo like updates-stable that follows your policy and is the
> only updates repo enabled by default.

That's essentially what Adam Williamson and Doug Ledford (both inspired by
Mandriva) already proposed.

Out of the proposals for more conservative updates, it's the one I consider
least unacceptable, though I'd argue it's still worse than the status quo
because it doubles the amount of package streams to maintain, and
maintaining the conservative stream could become quite painful if done
right. (Backporting security fixes is a PITA, and you can't just upgrade to,
say, KDE 4.4.1 if you've been shipping 4.2.2 (the version in F11 GA) all
this time. (Note that I'm not aware of any security issue being addressed by
KDE 4.4.1 specifically, it was just an example!)) But at least it'd still
provide an option to those of us who like the updates, at least if it
actually works (i.e. if it doesn't lead to maintainers only caring about the
conservative stream).

        Kevin Kofler